The Militant (logo) 
   Vol.65/No.9            March 5, 2001 
25 and 50 years ago
March 5, 1976
NEW YORK--"If I had the authority, I would close down Indian Point Plant No. 2 at once--it's almost an accident waiting to happen."

With this charge, Robert Pollard announced his resignation as safety overseer for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission at the Indian Point nuclear reactors on February 9.

The three nuclear plants are located on the Hudson River less than thirty miles north of New York City.

Pollard's announcement came just a week after three General Electric engineers quit that company's nuclear reactor division and volunteered to work for the movement seeking to block nuclear power plants in California.

Pollard's attack focused on a power tunnel in Indian Point Plant No. 2. Both the normal and emergency back-up power cables run through the same tunnel, so an accident there could knock out both.

"The Indian Point plants have been badly designed and constructed and are susceptible to accidents that could cause large-scale loss of life and other radiation injuries, such as cancers and birth defects," Pollard said.

He added, "The magnitude of the hazards associated with these plants has been suppressed by the government because the release of such information might cause great public opposition to their operation."
March 5, 1951
NEW YORK, Feb. 25--The refusal of the grand jury to indict the killer cops who murdered the Negro ex-GI, John Derrick, was protested this afternoon at a Harlem mass meeting. The meeting was held at the Golden Gate Ballroom under the auspices of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

An independent investigation conducted by Wilfred N. Mayes, counsel to the NAACP, has established beyond any doubt that Palumbo and Minakakis, the cops who shot Derrick last Dec. 7, are guilty of murder and grand larceny. In the light of his investigation, the handling of the case by District Attorney Hogan and the grand jury stands exposed as a criminal conspiracy to suppress evidence and thwart justice.

Despite a justifiable fear of police reprisals, Mayes secured eight eye-witnesses who swore under oath that Derrick was shot in cold blood as he stood unarmed, with his hands above his head. Other witnesses testified that five minutes before the killing Derrick had more than two thousand dollars on his person. From the moment of the killing until it arrived at the morgue, nobody had access to the corpse except the two cops. A search of the body at the morgue revealed the money was gone.

This whitewash of murder by Hogan and the grand jury comes as a surprise to no one familiar with their record.  
Front page (for this issue) | Home | Text-version home